If you are planning to settle in UK with UK Permanent Residence then you have arrived at the right place We will discuss the eligibility criteria, the application procedure and the different routes through which one can apply.
Every year, citizens from all over the world relocate to the United Kingdom in the hopes of settling down with a dream career, pursuing a promising business opportunity, or simply feeling a connection to the place they have always wanted to live. Today, the United Kingdom is one of the most popular places for a better living since it provides an excellent opportunity to maximise your potential while also experiencing a vibrant new culture.
Careers from all around the United Kingdom are recognised globally in the arts, science, business, sports, and politics. With a typical wait time of 5 years, the process will require considerable patience and dedication.
PR in UK
Permanent resident status in UK provides any person who wants to live and work in the UK indefinitely an opportunity to do so. The interested person needs to acquire this permit in order to work or conduct business in the UK, without any time limits on their stay and immigration restrictions.
In accordance with current immigration rules, this status is granted exclusively to a person who does not have the Right of Abode naturally.
This permit can lapse if the person spends more than 2 years outside the UK continuously after being granted permanent residence in the UK.
What is ILR?
ILR (Indefinite leave to remain) is similar to a permanent residency (PR) in the UK. It grants an immigration status to the foreign nationals to live, study and take employment in the UK without any time limits or restriction.
Work Visa Holders: Individuals who have been living and working in the UK under a work visa category, such as Tier 2 (General) or Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer), may become eligible to apply for ILR after completing a specified period of continuous residency, typically five years. Certain work visa categories may have different requirements and timelines for eligibility.
Who can apply for UK PR or UK ILR?
- Spouse or Partner of a British Citizen or Settled Person: If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for PR or ILR after completing a probationary period of living in the UK, which is usually five years.
- Long Residence: Individuals who have been living continuously in the UK for at least ten years, with lawful immigration status, may be eligible to apply for ILR based on the Long Residence route.
- Ancestry Visa Holders: Individuals who can demonstrate that they have a grandparent born in the UK, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man may be eligible to apply for an Ancestry visa. After living in the UK for a continuous period of five years, they may be eligible to apply for ILR.
- Tier 1 (Investor) Visa Holders: Individuals who have been living in the UK under the Tier 1 (Investor) visa category may become eligible to apply for ILR after residing in the UK for a specified continuous period, such as five years or two years if they invest a higher amount.
Eligibility Criteria for PR in UK
Applicant must be able to submit proof of living in the UK for a pre-set time duration, legally or otherwise corresponding to their granted visas. The following Table shows time period of stay in UK to be completed the stated categories:
|S. No||Various visas/ Conditions of Stay||Duration of Stay|
|1||Marriage or unmarried partner to UK citizen||2 years|
|2||Lawful stay on any basis (long stay)||10 years|
|3||Unlawful stay||14 years|
|4||Tier 1 and Tier 2 work permit||5 years|
|5||Investor, sportsperson, business owner, arts||5 years|
- Current Pay slips
- Bank account statements
- Address proof (like rent or lease contract etc.)
- Council tax letters
- Proof supporting calculation of an applicant’s disclosed other sources of income, if any.
- Appointment Letter from employer on company Letterhead with signatory authority stamp and date in case the applicant is a job employee.
- In case of business owners, material apropos must be provided regarding registered business address, relevant valid permits etc.
UK PR Visa Cost
It takes £2389 for an individual application by post. Application in person fees might be slightly higher and the advantages of this method is that a decision is declared on the same day avoiding the 6 months waiting.
UK PR Visa Processing
It will take around 6 months or more.